Friday, May 15, 2009

And more history

I decided to do a slight variant on my "what's needed most" technique, and started again with a pass through history. This time, it led me to classical and medieval history, where I'm within a few sessions of getting the nations linked to as far as there are pages. I then went to modern history, and and that's now a firm limit. So, I went into the 18th century and linked a few nations. These seemed to open up the possibilities for further examination considerably, and the 19th century did the same. The 19th century is the period when the British Empire was the predominant world power, and the most important nations it ruled are now present and accounted for. The 20th century is getting close to the limits on nations and cities I have included, and the early 21st century is not far behind. Since the 21st century page had reached a critical limit on size, I separated most its sociology section out on a separate page as I have done for others. I've been absent from work on modern history for some time, and it felt good to get back to it.

I then went to look at sociology. Sociology in general and peoples in general didn't have much I could do with them, and I didn't add any nations this pass: I want more more backed up demand for them before I add the next batch. Western Civilization was more interesting. The only major branches I am missing now are Scandinavian peoples in prehistory and antiquity, and Scandinavian and Balkan peoples in the future. The subdivisions will be a different matter, but I will get to them eventually.

I did a little review of the history of Western Civilization, and stopped when I got to modern history; I'll save that for the next pass through. I worked somewhat on connecting nations to Western Civilization, and got through Asia and Africa. That is some important groundwork for the modern period, when I get to considering which nations established which colonies in which parts of Africa. I've never been able to keep those quite straight in my mind, except for a few.

Next was a section on Anglic, or English-speaking peoples. I did quite a bit of pigeonholing of nations into groups in that subject, too, except on this I only got to Africa and not through it. These are presented in approximately the order of relationship they bear. I finally got most of the communities on this group pushed into the United States where they are most closely connected.

I did a similar review for the United Kingdom, which doesn't have quite so many nations linked to it yet. I didn't do much with the United States on this pass, but I will be doing more in the next one. Canada and Australia are set aside. Latin peoples are up next.

No comments: