Friday, January 11, 2008

In the latest round of my studies, I've been trying an older approach that I set aside for a while
The lastes version has me working in prehistory. I'm trying to start with countries and expand out. Early prehistory to about 40, ooo BC is hard to access from sources that start in history: This topic goes more with archaeology, but I don't quite want to go into that subject right now.

For middle prehistory, I expanded the countries connection to India and added a link to Asiatic peoples. Archeological research has not progressed as far as it has in Europe, so the story of how the earth was peopled by modern humans is seriously incomplete.

In later prehistory, I added a connection to Indonesia, and within Asiatic peoples, created a link to Oriental peoples. This does not mean that the Chinese people have the oldest civilization; I just haven't got to adding older but less numerous cultures. I've also started creating links to religion: not that I know much about religion in any part of prehistory, but so that I can add more links when I do know somethings.

Antiquity is a little bit easier to handle, and I start with the 5th millennium BC. Following my program of adding countries in decreasing order of population, this meant adding Brazil, this pushed Indonesia into Asia and India into a link with South Asia. Neither the Orient nor South Asia is well documented for this period, so this involves a bit of armwaving.

The fourth millennium BC adds Pakistan, which pushes Brazil into American Indian peoples, and I'm anxious to split these into regions based on countries, but still haven't done it yet.

The third millennium BC adds Bangladesh, which pushes Pakistan into Asia. So far, the Harappan (or Indus Valley) civilization appears most prominently, but I haven't yet begun to consider the middle east. Indonesia guides a link with Southeast Asian peoples, about which I know nothing in antiquity. This might be a good subject for reading, if I could get to it.

No comments: